Wednesday 16 September 2015

HAVING BARRACUDA MANGOS @ ISAN & GRILL BY BAAN YING

What caught my eyes that mesmerise about this restaurant was its immense size. It was a weekday afternoon, Pauline and I were on our way to Platinum Mall and we had to bypass Central World to reach it. I was struck by the very rustic Golden Pillow decor (remember that TCS series with pot-bellied Alex Mun acting as, excuse-me-while-I-cackle, an 18-year-old?). My second thought was, "Alamak, so big how to fill it up?".
I think it was out of pity that we stood for a while and looked at their menu. Even so, the staff  in comatose didn't exactly rush out to pull us in. What caught my eye first was The Glamorous Egg Sticky Rice, which of course made me roll my eyeballs like the beautiful marbles that they are. What can be so sexy about eggs and rice? Even the accompanying picture looks dry without any simmering pout of a gravy, na ka?!  
Then my eyes dropped to their #3 must-eat item and it says Barracuda mango. Hmm, if they are so barracuda, this piranha must eat it (sometimes I don't know what I am typing but I jest go with the flow).
So Pauline and I went for it. It is certainly refreshing although I would have preferred the shaved ice to be like those in Taipei, which is made of full cream milk, OMG! Still, the sweet milk is a sweet compromise. However, the mango was anything but. I think those that I devour with sticky rice are much sweeter. So I feel that at 130 baht, it's not worth it. I might have bared my piranha fangs at Pauline.
Since we were not eating anything else, I googled to see if I should return (it's on the third floor of Central World by the way). Wow, it seems like it's quite exotica leh. You can find northeastern cuisine like spicy ant egg salad (160 baht) and fried frog in hot sauce (180 baht! There's also Aussie grilled beef with jaew dip (155 baht) and fried sticky rice with Thai sausages (120 baht). 

And I was right about the size - it seats 280 diners!

No comments:

Post a Comment