Monday 31 August 2015

FOOD SAMPLING AT PIER 21 FOOD COURT, TERMINAL 21


This food court sits on the top floor of Terminal 21 and is super crowded during lunches and dinners so if you are a tourist, you should visit outside of these periods or risk carrying a tray laden with food and walking round and round like a 7th month ghost. 


Okay, it seems like there's a huge debate over Pier 21 food court amongst my friends. Some say the stalls serve food that are MEH while others say it's a must try. As inspired most beautifully in the pic above shot by me, WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!



This was my first two trips there as I seemed to be at Terminal 21 with an extremely full belly on all my previous trips. I went with Pauline on our first evening in Bangkok and I went alone on the last lunch of my trip. Compared to the other food courts like TOPS and Food Republic (even more expensive), the pricing here is most certainly cheaper. You can find singular dishes for 25 to 40 Baht here. 




We tried a stall that sells three different types of congee. 




We shared the fish congee for 35 Baht and it was extremely smooth (they might have pounded the rice grains or use broken ones?). It was good value for $$$ as there were sizeable chunks of delectable fish in it. SLURP! In fact, I automatically ate the same dish on my own the second time round. 




And this being Bangkok, it was terrific to load up as much chopped spring onions and sliced ginger as you jolly well wish. We also shared the 3-meat noodle (cha-siu, duck and sio bak). The noodles look like our wonton type but in a much darker brown colour and it was delicious! 


On my second trip alone, I had the seafood tom yum noodles. Being rebellious, I chose the instant noodle version (have you seen the online video of what they do inside your stomach for four hours?). Okay, the fishcake tasted pretty dead but you could tell the prawn had a good life and the squid was feeling exuberant before it died. As for the sexy runny egg, I think its parents were feeling pretty good when they mated. Squawk but true.  


For dessert, Pauline and I pounced on the mango with sticky rice. It was purrfection. Would you just look at how nicely they are presented?! 


I will return again and again to this post for the other stalls I will sample on future trips. Stay tuned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment